It was a perfect day for blackberry picking, the late Summer sun still warm and the colours rich & bright.
My daughter and I spent a delightful couple of hours scouring the hedgerows accompanied by our dog Bibi who mastered the nack of picking (& eating them) too.
After we made a delicious crumble, the almonds mixed wonderfully with the fruits.
Blackberry, Peach, Apple & Almond Crumble
For the filling
300g peaches or nectarines
700g bramley or braeburn apples
175g demerara sugar
For the topping
225g plain flour
55g demerara sugar
125g flaked or ground almonds
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
2. Peel, core and chop the apples into small chunks. Cut the lemons in
half and squeeze the juice over the apple and mix well.
3. Peel and chop the peaches into small chunks
4. Layer the blackberries, peaches, apples and sugar in a large dish.
5. Place the flour in a large bowl and then rub in the butter until it
resembles breadcrumbs – leave a few lumps of butter so that the
topping is not too fine. Add the almonds and the sugar and mix through.
6. Use a spoon to sprinkle the crumble topping evenly over the fruit.
Bake for 45 minutes or until the fruit is cooked and bubbling juices
seep through the topping.
7. Cool for a few minutes and then serve with custard or fresh cream.